When we stayed in Waikiki, we saw people paddling this large waterway.
This is the Ala Wai Canal. It marks the boundary of Waikiki.
At one time the area that is now Waikiki was a stagnant swamp full of mosquitoes.
In 1921 they began draining the swamps and diverting the streams and rivers of Honolulu. By 1928 they all drained into the Ala Wai Canal.
The canal starts at the Manoa and Palolo Streams just northwest of Kapahulu Avenue. It runs nearly two miles along the whole length of Waikīkī to empty into the Pacific Ocean at the Ala Wai Harbor.
Hundreds of kayakers, canoe paddlers and boaters use the canal every day.